back to text humor |
1. "I want to make sure everybody who has a job wants a job"
--George Bush, during his first Presidential campaign
2. "This is a great day for France!"
--Richard Nixon, while attending Charles De Gaulle's funeral
3. "Now, like, I'm President. It would be pretty hard for some drug guy
to come into the White House and start offering it up, you know? ... I
bet if they did, I hope I would say, 'Hey, get lost. We don't want any of that.'"
--George Bush, talking about drug abuse to a group of students
4. "For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan.
We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex ... uh... setbacks."
5. "I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and
democracy. But that could change."
6. "Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is
in the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is
--Dan Quayle during a visit to Hawaii in 1989
7. "What a waste it is to lose one's mind--or not to have a mind. How
true that is."
--Dan Quayle addressing the United Negro College Fund
8. "I am honored today to begin my first term as the Governor of Baltimore-that
--William Donald Schaefer, first inaugural address
9. "The caribou love it. They rub against it and they have babies. There
are more caribou in Alaska than you can shake a stick at."
--George Bush, on the Alaska pipeline
10. "I hope I stand for anti-bigotry, anti-Semitism, anti-racism. This
is what drives me."
11. "If I listened to Michael Dukakis long enough I would be convinced
that we're in an economic downturn and people are homeless and going without
food and medical attention and that we've got to do something about the unemployed."
12. "My fellow Americans, I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia
forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."
--Ronald Reagan, about to go on the air for a radio broadcast, unaware that
the microphone was already on
13. "Mars is essentially in the same orbit. Mars is somewhat the same
distance from the sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where
there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there
is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."
14. "Now we are trying to get unemployment to go up and I think we're
going to succeed."
15. GREAT MOMENTS IN POLITICAL DEBATES:
Walter Mondale: George Bush doesn't have the manhood to apologize.
Bush: Well, on the manhood thing, I'll put mine up against his any time.
16. "Bite the wax tadpole."
-- Coca-Cola as originally translated into Chinese
17. "Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the grave."
-- ad slogan "Pepsi Comes Alive" as originally translated into Chinese
18. "I am a jelly doughnut"
--English translation of John F. Kennedy speaking at the Berlin Wall
19. "We pray for MacArthur's erection."
--sign erected by Japanese citizens in Tokyo, when MacArthur was considering
a run for President
20. "You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid."
--from a guest directory at a Japanese hotel, 1991
21. "It takes a virile man to make a chicken pregnant."
--Perdue chicken ad, as mistranslated abroad
22. "I'm not against the blacks and a lot of the good blacks will attest
--Evan Mecham, then governor of Arizona
23. "Nixon has been sitting in the White House while George McGovern
has been exposing himself to the people of the United States."
--Frank Licht, then governor of Rhode Island, campaigning for McGovern in 1972
24. "Retraction: The 'Greek Special' is a huge 18 inch pizza and not
a huge 18 inch penis, as described in an add. Blondie's Pizza would like to
apologize for any confusion Friday's ad may have caused."
--correction printed in The Daily Californian
25. "Winfield goes back to the wall. He hits his head on the wall and
it rolls off! It's rolling all the way back to second base! This is a terrible
thing for the Padres!"
--Jerry Coleman, Padres radio announcer
26. "I want you to take your balls in your hand and bounce them on the
floor and then throw them as high as you can. Now, have you all got your balls
in your hands?"
--announcer of children's radio show "Life With Mother" to her audience
27. They X-Rayed my head and found nothing.
--Jerome "Dizzy" Dean